This program provides student with training required by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Commission (OPOTC) to pursue a career in law enforcement. This program has been serving Van Wert and surrounding communities since 1994. Training is under the direction of a State of Ohio approved Academy Commander. Upon completion of the course, students are eligible to earn the Ohio Peace Officer Certificate which opens doors to a variety of law enforcement opportunities.
In order to complete successfully, students must complete 100% of the training hours and must pass the Physical Fitness Standards Test given near the end of the program. Successful completers will receive a certificate of completion and are eligible to take the written examination for Ohio Peace Officers. Passing the state exam entitles graduates to certification by the State of Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) required for employment as a peace officer in the state of Ohio.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Possess a valid high school diploma, GED or its equivalent
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and FBI & BCI background check
- Have a good driving record as reported on a driving record from your local Bureau of Motor Vehicle Office
- Complete a pre-entrance assessment, WorkKeys scoring 4 or greater in each of the three areas tested: Math, Workplace Documents (skill to read and comprehend workplace documents), Graphic Literacy (skill to locate and find information)
- Pass a preliminary physical conditioning assessment performing up to the 15th percentile as defined by the New Cooper Standards for Law Enforcement Fitness (included in packet of information)
- Program Coordinator and/or Adult Education Director may allow some exceptions to the admissions criteria.
The 2021-2022 Academy begins September 7, 2021 and completes on May 29, 2022.
Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 6:00pm-10:00pm plus most weekends. Class size is limited to 20 students.
Contact our Enrollment Coordinator, Maria Diltz, at 419-238-5411,ext. 2118 if you are interested in enrolling in our next program.
For the 2021-2022 Academy: Tuition fee: $4,300 includes 2 academy shirts, ammunition for range, OPOTC exam fee
Book: $80 Additional out-of-pocket expenses are approximately $1,219 for application fee, assessment testing, duty gear, gun and additional uniforms
Financial Assistance is available for those that qualify from a variety of sources. Complete a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for Federal Financial Aid including Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) and Federal Student Loans. For details on all assistance available, see our Financial Aid page